Sunday, July 26, 2009

Ethnic Umbrella.......


This is actually a type of a head cover you see people using mostly in the villages.....called a "KNUP" in the local language.Its like an umbrella, hand made with bamboo and a special type of leaf.....and its just hung over your head.Can be used both in the sun or in the rains......yes it does act like a proper umbrella.When people work in the field, they would put this on their head to prevent them from the heat or the rains. The one in the picture is just a decorative piece .....it comes in a size fit for an adult.....and this is one thing that has always fascinated me, so when i was posted in the rural village i did get one as a gift.....and i would wish for the rains so that i could put that on my head and try to do all the odd jobs outside in the rains. lol! I did use it for a while and i had fun while i did.....only with time it got spoilt and it had to be discarded..... And yes its environmental friendly too.

4 comments:

R. Ramesh said...

send me one umbrella..the address is.....

Great Grandma Lin said...

fun idea, that's the only time I wear a hat when out in the sun and we get very little rain so on those rare occasions I get out my umbrella.

Patty said...

Now that sure looks different. I guess it would work, because most umbrellas you have to hold the handle and hold it over your head.

Priyanka Khot said...

This is such a practical thing. We Indians have been environment friendly for so long.

Post a picture of you wearing the KNUP. :D I promise I will tease you just a little. :D