Saturday, August 8, 2009

Vibrant Butterflies......!!!!



When I was younger I remember, we would see colourful butterflies all over the place. But now we would be lucky to find one specially in the city area. They just seemed to have disappeared .Meghalaya is famous for its different species of butterflies. In fact , butterflies were also used for souvenir purposes . Real butterflies would be actually framed like the one in the above picture. They looked beautiful, only so much was used for commercial purposes that some of the species were becoming extinct. So the government banned this and now we don't get them any more. The one in my hand is actually a dead one, I happen to find lying on the road but it was such a beauty that I could not resist taking a picture with it.

7 comments:

penak said...

You are right. They are beautiful. i liked the second picture better.

Great Grandma Lin said...

I lived in Brazil many years ago and brought home a lovely butterfly tray-they were blue and looked electric. I see how that trade would limit their population. That's a huge butterfly on your arm.

pradipwritenow said...

Nituji
Between Singtam and Gangtok( Sikkim) there is flat stretch where between sept-Nov I saw lot of butter flies. You may visit that place. Also you me see between Namchi and Singtam. I worked in landslides for highways and saw them.

Cheryl said...

What beautfiful butterflies. The second one was amazing, have never seen anything like it.

Patty said...

It is a beauty.

Indyeah said...

:(( the first pic breaks my heart... someone gifted us two such frames too ..the butterflies in them were fake thoug..
just look at the difference between the first pic and the second one..
heartbreaking!

And you know ..you are right come to think of it..
its been ages since I saw butterflies around where I live

:(((

Priyanka Khot said...

It is a huge one. A few years ago, I was standing on a bus stop and a butterfly sat on my shoulder and then flew and sat on my nose. There was a little girl standing nearby and she came running to me and asked me, "Are you a fairy?". I was speechless and asked her what made her say that. She replied, "My teacher said that butterflies sit on fairies. And so even if you don;t know it, You must be one."

I was having a very bad day and that little girl's innocent comments make me smile even today.