Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Coal Mining.....a tough job!!!!!








These were some pictures my brother took for his project.I always knew coal mining was a tough job, but little did I imagine how their working condition would be.When I saw these pictures , I was filled with guilt for one reason.....how I sometimes complain about my job and how at times I drag myself to work....how I get my monday blues and tuesday greens.Well , these miners can't afford to differentiate days or months or even time for that matter. Its a tough job, with no security for their lives and lots of health hazards. Ninty percent workers suffer from lung problems, specially tuberculosis. I was shocked to see small children too working here. I was told they help in picking up coal pieces lying around the ground above. They are paid by the number of baskets they can fill up. The air is thick with dust and suspended carbon particles and most of it goes into the human system. My department and all the patients in the long que standing outside no longer gave a depressing picture. After these dark coal mines,everything around me looked rosy and colourful. I guess sometimes we do need these realities in life to show and remind us how blessed we are in more ways then one.

10 comments:

R. Ramesh said...

what a wonderful post nitu..wish some reporters learnt from u..Ninty percent workers suffer from lung problems, specially tuberculosis, u say...quite scary ya....proud to be yr friend nitu..

Great Grandma Lin said...

that's certainly true and coal mines seem to be risky to health for miners every where in the world.

BK Chowla, said...

How I wish that we all realise as to how blessed we are

Priyanka Khot said...

The post humbled me. Your take on life and situations always surprises me and you inspire me to become a better person. Thanks Nitu!


Please tell Anthony that the photos have come out really well.

magiceye said...

we are blessed indeed!

R. Ramesh said...

Hi nitu:)

Cheryl said...

Yes, we all need reminders occasionally to how lucky we are. I am devastated by the conditions that these men and children work in. How very sad. I have nothing to complain about with my life! Thanks for sharing this.

Onkar said...

Very sensitive post.

soccarman said...

beautiful post and write up nitu. was out for a few days on work.

Anonymous said...

excellent post, i am really humbled by the story