Thursday, May 5, 2011

Typing On The Type Writer........!!!!



One fine sunny day I saw my neighbor cleaning his typewriter and putting it out in the sun to do away with dampness.......in Shillong after the monsoons a big task in hand usually is to air and sun out anything and everything. So as he sat doing his cleaning job meticulously , I stood with him watching him doing so and I was dying to run my fingers through the keys.Its been a long time since I did so. Yes , I did learn typing...in fact went to a proper school where they taught us typing and shorthand, during the break after I had given my Board Exams.....I had no particular reason to learn this art but I had time on my hand and a secretarial job did fascinate me for a while......thanks to the Mills and Boons book that we were into at that time, dreaming of a TDH boss. So I had learnt typing and had enjoyed the course then. I passed out with a 60 words per min result, considered quite okay for some one who actually went for a time pass. Lol!!! and then got into a Short Hand course.I found this course very interesting. It was like learning a new language but unfortunately I could not finish it as i had to go off for my BDS course.So a secreterial job and a TDH boss went out of the window and I landed studying for becoming a Tooth Doctor.Of course now the computers have the same key board but typing on a type writer is well different .Neelav had never seen this before so his young mind was highly tickled.Lol!!!!

5 comments:

R. Ramesh said...

oh typewriters..how much i luv ya..esp being a journalist of the 80s....typewriters were like spouses for us..:) good post buddy..keep the cheers...

Rachit said...

Typewriter.. oo i never worked on that, I guess, it would have been a very nostalgic moment for you :)

R. Ramesh said...

helllooo:)visted this blog to c the new post..where is the author

Onkar said...

I remember having typed a lot on these type-writers. At that time, no one thought of computers.

yodaonlife said...

So you type with all fingers when you are on a laptop? What is your typing speed on a laptop? Interested in knowing because I've never went to a typing school and have wondered if they actually make your fingers move faster?