Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The Silent World.......




Behind this thick Wood about 45 mins drive from the city of Shillong, lies the Ferrando school for the disabled.......where children suffering from loss of hearing or speech defects are specially taken care of and are taught special jobs basically to make them self independent apart from the regular school studies. The school run by these sisters is dependent very little on the outside market for its essential commodities. They have almost everything here......they grow their own vegetables... have their own stock of non veg.....bakery, etc etc.In fact both my senior colleague and I were treated with lovely bakery stuffs and fresh strawberry juice plucked straight from the garden. But what struck me the most was the silence in this place. It seems to cover the whole place like a blanket.....most of us talked in low tones as if not to disturb the surroundings. The children were playing......some people were working......we checked about a 100 patients.......there was so much of activities and yet everything was done so in silence.
It was so serene...so peaceful.....before we realised the day had ended and i was back to the usual hustle and bustle of the city and my life.

5 comments:

Patty said...

Must have been something to be around so many children and have it so quiet.

Kavita Saharia said...

where ears have no job to do,we are bound to listen from our hearts....and thats what makes this silence so very special.

Tan said...

Things that attract me to your blog are the pictures you put and YOU, yourself... I just love these...

Now, tell me about the Tweets you have posted on the RHS.. how to do that? I could not ask anyone else.. but since you are using it, please put some light :)

nituscorner said...

@tan....i think i did it from the settings.now this is like asking one blind man to the other to lead the way. hehehe.

Corner Gardener Sue said...

Nitu, Thank you for reminding me to come to your blog to see the school posts. I don't think this was one of them that you were referring to, but I went back to where I left off, and really liked this one!

I used to want to live off the land. The school you served sounds like a special place to be.