Thursday, February 18, 2010

Store Houses......!!!!!


On my village trip , I was really fascinated seeing these small little huts. I was wondering how could an adult fit inside such a small place till I was told that these are actually store huts.....used for storing a variety of crops and grains. Each family have several of these huts in their establishments. There are no doors or windows here. The thatched roof that is seen in the picture is actually a covering or rather a lid as you would see in the air tight containers we have at home. When grains are brought in, the lid is lifted from below with a long bamboo or stick.......poured inside and then the lid is put back. These huts are made of a mixture of hay and clay and its also porous , so there is free circulation of air, but again does not allow water to get in......thus the grains stay fresh. I was told that, the status and wealth of a family is judged by how many of these huts he has and how big are they. Interesting way of analyzing wealth I should say.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Naice ! These huts are cool !

R. Ramesh said...

baapre very interesting...and gr8 photo...whch village is that ya?

Great Grandma Lin said...

wow, the native americans did that too but built their grain storage out of rocks and mud. They needed to protect them from rodents and wildlife.

Linda said...

Very interesting. They must not have a lot of high wind, tornadoes, hurricanes, and heavy hail like some of the places where I have lived.

Cheryl said...

Very fascinating post! I like the construction of the huts.

Prashanth Rajan said...

there is the comments tab on the end of the post... that must work ... :)

Priyanka Khot said...

u have picked up on so many of the little little things that make a village life. Loved the beautiful store houses. Should I construct something similar outside my delhi house to dump some of my stuff! heeheh